Kanji orthographies given in the dictionaries listed in the preceding section are shown in the Hyōki (【表記】; Kanji Orthography) Section, together with the abbreviated titles of the source dictionaries.
- The abbreviations used to indicate the dictionary titles are those given in item 2 of the Dictionary Section (see above).
- Kanji orthographies are listed in the order of the number of sources in which they occur.
- In cases where different kanji orthographies appear in an equal number of dictionaries, kanji orthographies are listed basically in the chronological order of their sources.
- When two or more orthographies appear in the same dictionary all are included, but in cases when there is only a single source and it contains multiple orthographies, a selection is made giving precedence to verifiable forms.
- The kanji forms shown are generally based on the jōyōkanjihyō (list of kanji for common use); however, older forms may be used as necessary. Irregular characters (異体字;itaiji ) are shown in their common printed forms.